Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

O Ye of Little Faith

This is not a typical post for me, but something I feel like I should share for whoever out there might be reading. I was going through my book shelf yesterday and pulled out the "My Utmost for His Highest" Journal. I flipped to August 12th (yesterday in Japan), and this is what I read.

"When we are in fear we can do nothing less than pray to God, but our Lord has a right to expect that those who name His Name should have an understanding confidence in Him. God expects His children to be so confident in Him that in any crisis they are the reliable ones. Our trust is in God up to a certain point, then we go back to the elementary panic prayers of those who do not know God. We get to our wits' end, showing that we have not the slightest confidence in Him and His government of the world; He seems to be asleep, and we see nothing but breakers ahead.
"O Ye of little faith!" What a pang must have shot through the disciples - "Missed it again!" And what a pang will go through us when we suddenly realize that we might have produced downright joy in the heart of Jesus by remaining absolutely confident in Him, no matter what was ahead.
There are stages in life when there is no storm, no crisis, when we do our human best; it is when a crisis arises that we instantly reveal upon whom we rely. If we have been learning to worship God and to trust Him, the crisis will reveal that we will go to the breaking point and not break in our confidence in Him."

By the way, that was based around the passage in Matthew 8. I just thought it was a really good lesson for me. I guess I never really thought about "producing downright joy in the heart of Jesus" when I remain confident in him. I often wonder how God feels when it's been several days or weeks since I've really come to him to just worship him, talk to him and be in his presence...but out of fear or anxiety over something, beg and plead with him to "Just get me through this". Why is it that we tend to turn to him when the going gets tough but not in our every day lives where he's blessed us with all the wonderful? I try to put myself in his position and well...God has a lot more grace and forgiveness than I ever would. I would have given up on me a LONG time ago! Well anyway... just thought it was a great lesson for me and I hope it can bless you in some way too.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for sharing this.
    I've read My Utmost for His Highest a few times but still learn new things every time i go through it! It's like God shows me what I need to see for that moment.

    Thanks for the reminder to trust in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    I just wanted to let you know i have a giveaway going on at my blog this week! I hope you'll come and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful and just what I needed! Thank you for posting it! :)

    ReplyDelete